Friday, February 28, 2014

Charcoal is my Poison.........

For as long as I can remember I have always enjoyed being creative. Drawing, scrapbooking, painting, the whole lot, I loved it. But I have always had this extra inclination to charcoal and sketching. I like the idea of being able to make a mistake and use that to make my drawing more authentic to who I am and perhaps to who I want to become.

Today was the first time I have picked up my charcoal pencil in so long, and yet it felt...... perfect. I have been trying to increase my skills in painting that my sketches for the last 6 months have fallen to the side. Today it felt like me again. I love paining too, but I truly feel at home with myself when putting charcoal to paper.

Todays sketch was not perfect, far from it. It was messy and full of mistakes and when I look at it now thats it's finished I want to change so much of it. But I won't, because to me its not about having a perfectly structured piece with all the proportions right and the shading spot on. Its about losing myself in it for the hour or so that it takes to do the piece. I always find I have a greater perspective after I have relaxed and let go.

And I did that today.


No comments: